Threadless – Burgerman T-Shirt (size 3 months – kids large) $15-$20.00 www.threadless.com
On your mark, get set, go! The mad dash to purchase that laundry list of “Back to School” supplies is here. While certain items like pencils, notebooks and paper are a no brainer, a backpack is something that should never be bought on a whim.
Unlike clothing and shoes, your child will not outgrow their backpack during the school year, or need to swap it out when the weather changes. It’s the one constant they will proudly wear everyday to school. So why not make it something special?
Always remember a backpack is way more than just a vessel to carry your kid’s books to school. It’s an extension of their personality. A representation of who your child is to their peers. Maybe your kid loves kittens? Maybe it’s a certain cartoon character? Maybe they’re obsessed with pink? Whatever floats their boat. In the end, it’s all about making them feel good about themselves by building their confidence and self-esteem…all while getting their homework home in one piece. – Jill Topol
TOP BOYS BACKPACKS
- Crewcuts – Max the Monster Backpack $59.50 jcrew.com
- Fred Perry – Plaid Signature Backpack $95.00 asos.com
- Nintendo – Large Controller Backpack $29.99 target.com
- Sprayground – Eyenstein Backpack $60.00 sprayground.com
- MadPax – Heavy Metal Full Pack in Moonwalk Silver $65.00 madpax.com
- Vans – Eley Kishimoto Old Skool II Backpack $42.00 vans.com
- Herschel – Classic Backpack in Navy Portal $39.99 herschelsupply.com
- Mojo – Burger Deluxe Backpack $48.00 mojobackpacks.com
- Jansport – Superbreak Backpack in Multi Mixtapes $36.00 jansport.com
- Star Wars – Grey Millennium Falcon 3D Backpack $31.99 target.com
- Zara – Giraffe Detail Backpack $29.90 zara.com
- Paul Smith Junior – Dinosaur Backpack $262.00 www.luisaviaroma.com
TOP GIRLS BACKPACKS
- 2D Bags – Pink 2D Backpack $29.99 2dbags.co
- Tokidoki for LeSportsac – Palette Backpack $138.00 lesportsac.com
- Mojo – Studio Disco Backpack $48.00 mojobackpacks.com
- Jansport – Big Student Backpack in Hairball $45.99 kohls.com
- Gap Kids – Owl Backpack $39.95 gap.com
- Sprayground – Kitten Grillz X Cupcake Mafia $65.00 sprayground.com
- State – Kane Backpack in turquoise/peach $55.00 statebags.com
- Mojo – Doughnuts Backpack $48.00 mojobackpacks.com
- Moschino – Quilted Bear Printed Backpack $725.00 luisaviaroma.com
- Gap – Printed Senior Backpack in Mint Puppies $44.95 gap.com
- Hello Kitty – Mint Sunglasses Backpack $40.00 loungefly.com
- Dickies – Patchwork Backpack in Soft Turquoise $19.99 www.target.com
Keith Haring T-Shirt – Uniqlo, Striped Shorts – Bit’z Kids, Hat – H&M, Shoes – Burger Clogs by Crocs, Sunglasses – bought on the street in Shanghai
Live in NYC and looking for something fun to do with your little prince & princesses? Then check out Princess Phooey playing at the TADA Youth Theater now through August 1st. Use code PRINCESS5 for $5 off.
Deer Dana – Larry David T-Shirt (size 2-6 yrs) $45.00 www.openingceremony.us
Sometimes life can be glorious. With all the depressing things our country has endured over the last few months, It’s hard not to get choked up with joy over the outpouring of good news that’s taken place over these past 2 weeks. Obamacare becomes the law of the land. The long overdue removal of the confederate flag, and drum roll please…the Supreme Court declares same-sex couples the right to marry in all 50 states.
I’m grateful that my LGBT friends and family are finally recognized by our country as the loving families and couples that they’ve always been.
I’m grateful that my son will feel free to choose love not based on what the government says, but what his heart says.
President Obama said it best, “Sometimes there are days like this, when that slow, steady effort is rewarded with justice that arrives like a thunderbolt”.
Tonight we celebrate what makes this country great with a sky full off thunderbolts. Happy 4th of July! – Jill Topol
Camouflage Jacket (Custom Studded by Jill Topol) – Gap Kids, “I Eat Beats” T-Shirt – Crewcuts, Leopard Jeans – Cherokee, Rainbow Scarf – Gap Kids, Hat – H&M, Boots – Dr. Martens