Keith Haring T-Shirt – Uniqlo, Striped Shorts – Bit’z Kids, Hat – H&M, Shoes – Burger Clogs by Crocs, Sunglasses – bought on the street in Shanghai
Please enjoy this throwback to my favorite DIY Easter project. Inspired by the music from my youth.
Gabba Gabba Hey! It’s time for an old fashioned Punk Rock Easter. Slip on your combat boots. Throw on that kilt, and dye your hair pink like the Easter Bunny. Hard-boiled and hardcore, these punk inspired eggs are sure to make your kids Sid and Nancy scream for joy. – Jill Topol
- Hard Boiled Eggs
- Easter Egg Dye (I used PAAS Brand)
- A Colored Newspaper (try looking at financial & foreign papers)
- Safety Pins
- Color Copies of your Fave Music Icons
- Mod Podge (Matte Version)
- Sponge Brush
- Easter Basket
Dye your hard-boiled eggs pink, purple and yellow. While your eggs are drying, cut out your music icon images. You must cut slits all around your images in order for them to lay flat on your eggs. Remember you’re pasting a flat image on a curved surface! Cover the back of your images with Mod Podge using your sponge brush and adhere to your eggs. Next cover the eggs in a thin coat of Mod Podge and let dry.
To make your punk rock grass, simply take your colored newspaper and run it through a paper shredder. Decorate your basket with safety pins and you’re ready to rock!
Tiny Whales – Donut Worry Be Happy, Natural Hi Lo Tee (size 6m-8yrs) $25.00 www.tinywhalestore.com
This past weekend I took Max to see the Blondie 40th Anniversary exhibit at the Chelsea Hotel Gallery in NYC. With walls covered in visual delights and glass displays housing rare and unusual memorabilia, it was an overload of pure enjoyment for fans of the iconic band.
Photographers and artistic legends including Andy Warhol, Mick Rock, Annie Leibovitz, Robert Mapplethorpe, Bobby Grossman, David Godlis and bandmate Chris Stein adorned the gallery walls with their personal perspectives on one of the most highly regarded bands in both music and fashion history.
I decided to take my 7 year old son Max (who was reluctant at first) to the exhibit with hopes that exposing him to the music mommy grew up on would somehow give him an appreciation for Blondie and broaden his musical horizons beyond the soundtrack of “Frozen”. I’m happy to say my efforts paid off. Max marveled at the Blondie videos playing on the large screen to the point of being in a trance. After viewing a block of videos in his hypnotic state, he asked if we could watch “Heart of Glass” on YouTube when we got home. I was elated. He also told me that Debbie Harry was one of the most gorgeous women he’d ever seen, and resembled one of his Monster High dolls. The biggest compliment the boy could possibly give.
While I would never force my son to like the same music I do (said by the girl who’s dad only let her listen to show tunes in elementary school and still resents him for it), it’s nice to know that Max is open-minded to try new things, and not just what Nickelodeon says is cool.
“Call Me” or “Call Me Maybe”, it’s all good!
1. Rowdy Sprout – Blondie Tank Dress (size 3m-8yrs) $46.00 www.rowdysprout.com
2. Rowdy Sprout – Petunia Blondie Sweatshirt (size 12m-12yrs) $41.00 www.rowdysprout.com
3. Goody Two Sleeves – Blondie Poster Tee (size 2-4yrs) $22.00 www.babesta.com
Hatch For Kids – Haulin’ Oats Kids Tee (size 4-12yrs) $24.00 www.hatchforkids.com
If you live or work in the New York City area be sure to wear your running shoes this Friday to make a mad dash for the RUUM Kid’s Wear sample sale.
High fashion meets low prices at this mack daddy of a kids clothing sale.
As a fashion stylist, I’ve been to a zillion sample sales over the years and this one takes the cake! Plan on a workout trying to carry your shopping bags home. It’s that good. – Jill Topol
1. La Miniatura – Boys Pineapple Pullover http://www.laminiaturakids.com
2. Pineapple Knit Beanie – available at http://www.felissimo.co.jp
3. Mini Rodini – Blue Pineapple Print Sweatshirt (size 1-11yrs) $64.00 www.alexandalexa.com
4. The Children’s Place – Pineapple Graphic Tee (size 4-12yrs) $4.99 www.childrensplace.com
5. Scotch Shrunk – Allover Printed Swim Shorts (size 4-16yrs) $62.00 www.scotch-shrunk.com
6. Zara Kids – Pineapple T-Shirt (size 3-14yrs) $15.90 www.zara.com
7. Dabs Myla – Island Blue Kids Tee (size 6m-10yrs) $28.00 www.tinywhalestore.com
8. Crewcuts – Girls Glitter Pineapple Purse $59.50 www.jcrew.com
9. Forever 21 – Pineapple Print Kids Tank Top (xs-l) $8.80 www.forever21.com
10. Tucker & Tate – Girls Pineapple Leggings (size 2t-7yrs) $16.00 www.nordstrom.com
11. Munster Kids – Pineapple Print Shorts (4-14yrs) $60.50 www.alexandalexa.com