Since our latest “T-Shirt of the Week” is a Keith Haring tee, I thought it was only fitting to repost this tribute I wrote 2 years ago dedicated to one of my all-time favorite artists. xo, Jilly
Back in my high school days, I was a funky new wave chick with a mad passion for art, music and fashion. To paint a clearer picture, I would have been the perfect casting choice for “the best friend” of Molly Ringwald & Duckie in the movie “Pretty in Pink”.
I remember wearing my Keith Haring pins on my denim jacket, and a limited edition Keith Haring Swatch Watch that I got as a birthday present from my grandma. I literally wore that watch everyday until it fell apart. Pop art always had a special place in my heart. The bright colors and whimsical attitude just seemed to fit in perfectly with my lifestyle. Andy Warhol was the master and Roy Lichtenstein was a genius, but growing up in the 80’s nobody could come close to Keith Haring. He was the Andy Warhol of my generation.
Throughout his career, Haring devoted much of his time to public works of art including hundreds of white chalk drawings in subway stations and painted murals throughout New York City. He also collaborated on numerous projects with the likes of Madonna, Grace Jones, Yoko Ono and his own mentor Andy Warhol. Though his images had a childlike quality, the messages behind them were anything but. They were deep and relevant to modern day issues. Touching on subjects as serious as drug abuse and AIDS.
Sadly, Haring died way too young of AIDS related complications at 31. His legacy will forever be immortalized through his art.
Last weekend I went with my husband and Max to see the Keith Haring exhibition at The Brooklyn Museum. The exhibit chronicles Haring’s earlier work in NYC including personal sketchbooks and preserved subway chalk drawings. It was amazing to see in person stuff I had only previously seen in books. Plus it was great to watch Max’s reactions to some of the art. Even when he pointed to one painting and started to shout “I see a penis! I see a penis!” In his defense, he did! Plus I’m pretty sure Keith Haring would have been okay with it. – Jill Topol
Keith Haring: 1978-1982
March 16 through July 8, 2012
Keith Haring 1958-1990 My High School Swatch Watch
Posing with Brooke Shields 1986
“Crack is Wack” 1986 Handball Court Murals on Harlem River Drive and East 128th Street, NYC
Untitled, 1981 Enamel on fiberboard
Down in the Subway
The exact moment Max realized Keith Haring was cooler than Justin Bieber
SOME COOL KEITH HARING ITEMS YOU CAN PURCHASE:
Keith Haring Rocker $260.00 www.openingceremony.us
Keith Haring Bumpkins Superbib 3 Pack $19.95 www.diapers.com
Keith Haring IPad Case $64.00 www.patriciafield.com
Uniqlo – Keith Haring SPRZ NY Graphic T-Shirt (size 3-11yrs) $12.90 www.uniqlo.com
Rapunzel, your dreams of becoming fashion’s next “it girl” have just been crushed. Little Red Riding Hood takes her “on my way to Grandma’s house” style to the runway as capes and ponchos become a top trend for fall. In warm earth tones and plaids, this sleeveless coverall classic is the perfect must-have for a fairytale happy ending. – Jill Topol1. Tommy Hilfiger – Tommy Mini Wool Cape (size 1-7yrs) £125.00 uk.tommy.com
2. Dolce & Gabbana – Girls Animal & Flower Print Cape (size 4-6yrs) $1615.00 www.saksfifthavenue.com
3. H&M – All For the Children, Jacquard-knit Poncho (size 2-10yrs) $34.95 www.hm.com
4. Aquascutum – Reversible Cape Red (size 4-12yrs) $473.44 www.designerchildrenswear.com
5. Stella McCartney Kids – Florence Cape (size 4-10yrs) $280.00 www.stellamccartney.com
6. Old Navy – Girls Hooded Performance Fleece Cape (size xs-xxl) $40.00 www.oldnavy.com
Hatch For Kids – Haulin’ Oats Kids Tee (size 4-12yrs) $24.00 www.hatchforkids.com
Happy Birthday, America!
From all of us at Super Goody Bag.
Mamacase Prints – “Say Fromage” Kids T-Shirt (size 18m-10yrs) $22.00 www.etsy.com
Forever 21 – Kids Ramones Muscle Tee (size xsmall-xl) $12.80 www.forever21.com
Wookiees and droids take over your kiddos closet in Star Wars Style. As a follow-up to Super Goody Bag’s Star Wars Trend Alert, we bring you our top “out of this world” picks in geek chic fashion. – Jill Topol
1. Vans – Classic Slip-On Sneakers (Star Wars) A New Hope (Available June 1st!) www.vans.com
2. Rebel Skein – Princess Leia Handmade Beanie $26.00 www.etsy.com
3. Disney Store – Luke Skywalker X-Wing Pilot Star Wars Pin $12.95 www.disneystore.com
4. Star Wars – Punk Vader Tee (size 2t-boys large) $23.73 www.amazon.com
5. Junk Food – Boys Star Wars R2D2 & C3PO Tee (size xxs-l) $30.00 www.junkfoodclothing.com
6. Star Wars – C3PO case for iPhone $29.50 www.jcrew.com
7. Junk food for Gap Kids -Darth Vader Ringer Graphic Tee (size xs-xxl) $24.95 www.gap.com
8. Kawaii – Star Wars Leggings (size xs-xxl) $26.50 www.welovefine.com
9. New Era – Star Wars Galaxy 9fifty Snapback Cap $31.99 www.shop.neweracap.com
10. Creative Hooking – R2D2 Handmade Beanie $29.00 www.etsy.com
11. Barnes & Noble – Darth Vader & Son Hardcover Book $8.66 www.barnesandnoble.com
12. Mini Fine – Infants I Am R2D2 Onesie (size 0-24m) $20.00 www.welovefine.com
13. Star Wars – Chewbacca Lunchbox $14.99 www.thinkgeek.com
14. Uniqlo – Kids American Movie Stormtrooper Graphic Tee (size 3-11yrs) $9.90 www.uniqlo.com
15. Star Wars – Juvy Chewbacca Fur Hoodie (size 4-7yrs) $70.00 www.80stees.com